Shipping containers are used in a variety of industries, but they are most commonly used for storing goods. They are usually made of steel and come in various sizes. They are very versatile and can be used for storage, manufacturing, distribution, and even housing.
They are easy to transport and can be moved around easily. Shipping containers are often used for temporary storage until needed elsewhere. They are also used for moving cargo around the world.
There are many advantages of using shipping containers for businesses. They are cheap, durable, and easy to use. They are also environmentally friendly because they are recyclable.
How the pandemic turned humble shipping containers into the hottest items on the planet?
The coronavirus outbreak has changed our lives forever. The world went into lockdown mode which meant we had less time to spend shopping online. However, this also gave us more free time to explore alternative ways to shop. One way was through ecommerce platforms such as Amazon.com Inc. But while many shoppers loved using Amazon because of its convenience, others found themselves disappointed due to the lack of variety available. They felt frustrated because most of the items sold on Amazon were either too expensive or not exactly what they needed.
This led some entrepreneurs to think about creating an alternate solution to fulfill customers’ needs. And shipping containers became the answer to this problem. These large metal boxes are ideal for storing and carrying any kind of merchandise.
Why shipping containers?
- Cheap – The cost of buying or renting a container is much cheaper than purchasing land. This makes it easier to start up your business without having to spend too much money on initial costs. You will not have to pay rent either which means you do not need to worry about paying any bills while operating out of this space.
- Durable – Containers are extremely strong and sturdy so they last longer than other types of buildings. If you want something that lasts then choose a container as opposed to an office building. It’s important to note though that if you plan on keeping your container for more than one year then you should invest in some extra protection such as tarpaulins. These coverings prevent water from getting into the container and damaging its contents.
- Easy To Use – A shipping container does all the work for you when it comes to setting up your new business. All you have to do is load everything inside onto pallets and stack them together. Then just drive away! There is no need to hire anyone else to help with set-up.
- Environmentally Friendly – When you move out of a shipping container there is nothing left behind except empty boxes. No matter how big or small your company may be, you won’t leave anything behind after leaving the container. This helps reduce waste and pollution.
- Recyclable – Once you decide to sell your products or services, you don’t have to throw away the packaging materials anymore. Instead, you can recycle these items by selling them back to companies who make their own packaging material.
- Versatile – Because shipping containers are designed to carry loads of different things, they are perfect for transporting almost anything. From food to furniture, people love being able to buy whatever they like at low prices thanks to shipping containers.
- Flexible – Unlike traditional offices where employees must sit down during working hours, shipping containers allow workers to stand up whenever they feel like doing so. As long as you have enough room to walk around, you can get plenty of fresh air.
- Convenient – Since shipping containers are portable, they can be taken anywhere. Whether you live near a port or far away from one, you can still access your container. In fact, you could take your container along with you wherever you go.
- Secure – With security measures in place, you know that nobody has been tampering with your property. Even if someone did try to break into your container, you would notice right away since the doors cannot open easily.
- Customizable – Shipping containers come in various sizes and shapes depending on what type of product you intend to transport. For example, if you were planning on moving heavy machinery, you might opt for a larger size container. On the other hand, if you wanted to ship smaller goods, you could select a smaller sized container instead.
Best Shipping Container Business Ideas:
Some lucrative ideas are discussed below;
Freight Forwarding Company
Freight forwarding companies offer freight transportation services to businesses across the globe. They provide customers with storage facilities, loading docks, trucks, drivers, warehouses, etc. The main goal of this kind of business is to ensure that shipments reach their destination safely and efficiently so they use containers.
Moving services include packing, unpacking, crating, storing, delivering, unloading, assembling, disassembling, reassembly, relocating, etc. These kinds of services help individuals and organizations relocate without having to worry about hiring movers themselves. Containers are one of the best moving services because these are safe.
Transportation Logistics Consultant
Transportation logistics consultants work closely with shippers, carriers, receivers, brokers, customs agents, etc. Their job entails helping these parties coordinate shipment activities such as choosing the most appropriate mode of delivery i.e. containers, determining which modes of transportation are available, negotiating contracts, arranging pickup/delivery times, tracking packages, preparing bills of lading, filing paperwork, etc.
Cargo Insurance Brokerage Firm
Cargo insurance brokerage firms act as middlemen between cargo owners and insurers. This means that they match cargo owners who need coverage against suitable insurers. In turn, cargo owners pay them commission fees whenever policies are sold. Cargo too uses containers.
Pop-up stores open temporarily in shopping malls, airports, train terminals, hotels, convention centers, stadiums, fairgrounds, parks, festivals, carnivals, amusement parks, zoos, aquariums, museums, theme parks, resorts, casinos, cruise lines, and anywhere else people gather. Goods required in these store are delivered through containers,
Coffee shop can be found at many ports worldwide. Customers order drinks and food online before arriving at a port. Once there, they pick up their orders using special containers called “pods”.
Containers bookshop is similar to container coffee shop except that instead of ordering items online, people come into a physical location where books are displayed. The difference lies in how the two types of businesses operate: one sells products directly to consumers whereas the other sells products only to retailers.
Florists ship flowers all over the globe using containers. Flowers are packed inside sealed plastic bags and then placed in cardboard boxes.
Container Repair Services
Some repair centers specialize in repairing damaged shipping containers. Others focus more on refurnishing old ones. Either way, these businesses need access to new parts and tools which means having an inventory of spare parts.
Container Hauling Service
Haulers transport cargo between different locations. This includes transporting freight within cities as well as hauling shipments overseas.
Bakery owners sell bread, pastries, cakes, cookies, etc., made with fresh ingredients stored in containers. They also bake specialty treats such as cupcakes or brownies.
Restaurants serve meals prepared from foods kept in containers. Many restaurants keep raw meat and seafood in refrigerated containers. Other establishments cook dishes right after receiving deliveries.
Dry cleaners remove stains from clothes using chemicals. Clothes are washed in machines before being dried in dryers so same happens with containers as cleaning is important.
Salons cut hair for men and women. The business offers haircuts, color treatments, styling products, manicures, pedicures, waxing, facials, massage therapy, and other beauty services. Products which are needed in salons are shipped in containers.
Containers vast area is delivering goods to gift shops which sell gifts ranging from jewelry to clothing accessories. Items sold include necklaces, earrings, watches, scarves, bags, wallets, shoes, hats, sunglasses, purses, clocks, candles, home décor, toys, games, electronics, books, CDs/DVDs, flowers, foodstuffs, candy, stationery, and much more.
Electronics retailers sell electronic devices like computers, tablets, smartphones, cameras, camcorders, audio equipment, video game consoles, smartwatches, GPS systems, speakers, headphones, and many other. These appliances are provided by containers which are for this purpose.
Container Storage Yard
Storage yards store empty shipping containers. When companies need storage space, they rent out container spaces to businesses.
Art galleries display artworks for sale. Artists create paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs, prints, posters, tapestries, ceramics, glassware, furniture, stained glass windows, mosaics, pottery, textiles, metalwork, woodwork, leatherwork, jewelry, musical instruments, and other items of artistic value.
Container trade seems very diverse because it helps in transportation, storage, shipping and also uses in cargo i.e. international shipping and deliveries. Lots of ideas are mentioned so you can adopt any of them and start your own set up. From its cleaning to shipping to repairing to moving services means every aspect of this trade is beneficial due to its versatility. Do a bit of more research if you want and take the initiative.